Why Your Not Achieving The Results You Desire
Have you ever felt like your wheels were spinning, stuck in the mud? Have you ever questioned yourself? If you have then I am sure you can relate to this article.
You Keep On Knockin’ But You Can’t Come In
Day in and day out without fail your in the gym training. Getting in there and getting dirty. You feel like your really pumping the iron and making some impressive gains. You give it your all and you know it. Over the years the money you spent on pre-workout supplements is more like an annual salary. You eat your food and drink your protein shake. But, things aren’t changing like you expect them.
Frustrated and at the point of giving up your mind begins to question what the hell am I doing wrong? What could it possibly be? All the magazine articles and suggested routines I try aren’t getting me the size and strength I want. I think I’m eating enough but I’m not growing. Every damn supplement just seems to be like funny colored piss in the toilet! WHAT THE HELL!!
Take Two Steps Back
I have been in that exact situation. I am sure many men and women have. Wether it be in the gym or just life in general. It took me a while to really figure things out. But once I really reached the point of frustration while going for my goals I decided to take two steps back. That might be what will help you.
Keep It Simple Stupid
An acronym that was taught to us in design school was K. I. S. S. or keep it simple stupid. Sometimes in life we seem to over think things or over analyze them. But keeping it simple we can get to the very core of the situation and make a good judgment on making a profession forward.
Finding The Right Approach
An old teacher of mine used to say:
” In life we have the ability to walk down many paths, all leading to the same destination, its up to us wether the roads are rocky or paved in gold.”
Life would not be life without struggles. That’s obvious. But it’s how we overcome those struggles. When I reached the point of anger in relation to my own frustrations with failure to achieve I made the choice to do whatever it takes. I knew that what I was doing was not working and like my father says, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.
At that point I had to cut my losses and learn from all my previous mistakes. I knew I was lacking the knowledge and know how, so I set forth on a quest to obtain it. In most cases I found that my lack of progression always dealt with a lack of understanding. I became a sponge and soaked up as much as I could.
My Golden Ratio
I cannot say that up until this point I have found a secret magical technique or food that has transformed me into an walking adonis. But I can say that by getting back to the basics really helped me.
By looking into the past and seeking answers to my questions I began to study methods of professionals that competed or trained long before I was born. Realizing that their physiques emulated what I was hoping to achieve I felt that by taking that approach would work best.
It seems to have worked. My style of training has completely changed from the very first time I began lifting weights. Adopting a routine that was compiled of predominately heavy compound lifts started to give me the change I was looking for.
And in turn this made the most sense.
Think of it like this. If you want to become a millionaire you look for a millionaire and emulate the process he/she did in order to become a millionaire. You don’t go to the shit part of town and ask a homeless individual how to obtain riches do you?
Dream your goal and turn that goal into a reality by following proven paths to success.
A Helping Hand
You know yourself and you know what you want. So own it. Go for your dream whatever it may be. Keep your eyes open for opportunity and recognize signs of assistance as well as times when restraint is nescessary. Fitness is a journey and a lifestyle, things will not happen over night.
From my experiences to yours here are some ideas that might help you along the way. I know they have worked for me.
- Listen To Music – Grab some killer headphones, your mp3 player, and build a playlist or station you just wanna jam to. By incorporating music into my lifts, especially on heavy days I really was able to tune out my mental chatter and get down to the nitty gritty.
- Find a Training Partner – Find a training partner. Having someone there to hold you accountable for your actions really helps to push you past the limit. Sometimes even just them being there will get you motivated and push you forward. For myself I know that my girlfriend is an integral part of my lifts. She motivates me to train at my full potential and also is there when I need a spot.
- Get Out of Your Comfort Zone – Those little dumbbells are not going to get you stronger. Starting lifting heavier, safely. Grab a weight you never did before and execute it with proper form. Your confidence in the gym and in life will increase ten fold. More confidence will lead to bigger lifts, leading to more strength.
- Seek Advice – Never be afraid to as someone for advice. There a tons of people in the gym that know what they are doing but don’t say anything to people who don’t. Not because they want people to get hurt, but because advice is usually not appreciated. Grab your balls and walk up to that big dude that is killer the exercise you stuck on. Ask for tips and maybe even a spot. You will be surprised by the response.
- Remind Yourself of Your Goal – Keep reminding yourself of where you are going. It will help you stay motivated.
- Check Yourself Before You Wreck Yourself – Leave your ego at the door. Strip down the weight and keep practice your form if your not getting anywhere. Chances are your doing things wrong with way to much weight. No one cares about how much you can bench. Seriously. And you shouldn’t care if anyone does. Learn the form. Ditch the ego. And smile when you look at yourself in the mirror.
Wrapping Things Up
I hope that my words can be of some inspiration. It all boils down to you. How bad do you really want your goal. And how hard are you willing to work for it. Armed with the right know how you can do anything.
NOW GET IN THE GYM AND TURN ON BEAST MODE!!